Re: Autogen.sh scripts are slightly buggy in Gnome

On Thu, 22 Oct 1998, Robert Soros wrote:

> Greetings Gnome Users, Pseudo-coders and Children ;-)

Hello!

> 	Something odd has happened to the autogen.sh scripts on the gnome
> cvs. The ones effected, as far as I've looked are gnome-libs, -media,
> -core, -games, etc (mostly the gnome branches)... I had to do a fresh
> cvs checkout three days ago, and this is the autogen.sh that i end up
> with[root@Mozart gnome-libs]# cat autogen.sh
>

> #!/bin/sh
> # Run this to generate all the initial makefiles, etc.
>
> srcdir=`dirname $0`
> test -z "$srcdir" && srcdir=.
>
> PKG_NAME="Gnome Libraries"
>
> (test -f $srcdir/configure.in \
>   && test -f $srcdir/HACKING \
>   && test -d $srcdir/gtk-xmhtml) || {
>     echo -n "**Error**: Directory "\`$srcdir\'" does not look like the"
>     echo " top-level gnome directory"
>     exit 1
> }
>
> . $srcdir/macros/autogen.sh     ..

That's been what the top level autogen.sh scripts have been for a while
now.

> Thats from gnome-libs branch, as you can see it wont do anything,

Sure it will, it will make sure the source tree looks sane, and then run
the real autogen.sh script.

> because there is no macros directory .. I've tried removing the
> offending scripts and updating with cvs, and it replaces it with the
> same thing .... Am I missing something here ? I've been using
> autogen.sh to configure all the branches for months now.

It looks like you're missing the macros directory.  I just did a fresh
checkout from the anonymous cvs server, and it's there now.  Either cvs
screwed up (on the server or client end) or the reference to the macros
directory was temporarily missing.  Either way, if you do a fresh checkout
it should be fine now.

If for some reason you find yourself missing the macros directory in the
future, get the gnome-common package (from either cvs or Jim Pick's
snapshots), and copy the directory over to the package you need it.  All
of the core GNOME packages need that directory.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated :)))))

I hope I've been of assistance :-)

-Gleef