Re: Compiling ORBit is fun, isn't it?

On Tue, 20 Oct 1998 16:27:20 +0100 (BST), Michael Hudson <mwh21@cam.ac.uk>
wrote:

>The build process for ORBit seems to require a good deal of coaching,
>which is irritating if you want to write a script to automate building
>gnome.

Works fine for me:

[sopwith@bogus sopwith]$ cat /repo/src/cvs/build-gnome.sh
#!/bin/sh

function doexit() {
        echo "build of $1 failed"
        exit 1
}

cd /repo/src/cvs

if [ -z "$DIRS" ]; then
DIRS="glib ORBit gtk+ imlib gnome-libs gnome-xml gnome-objc gnome-core \
        gnome-admin gnome-games gnome-guile gnome-media gnome-network \
        gnome-utils gnumeric"
fi
for I in $DIRS; do
        cd $I
        rm -f config.cache
        if [ $I = gtk+ ]; then
                ED="--enable-debug=yes"
        else
                ED=""
        fi

        AUTOGEN_OPTS="--prefix=/gnome --enable-maintainer-mode $ED"

        (./autogen.sh $AUTOGEN_OPTS && make && make install) &> build.log \
		|| doexit $I
        cd ..
done

>1) My usual routine is to type
>./autogen.sh --disable-static && make clean && make
>This fails for a bundle of reasons.
>1.1) I get messages about not finding the static library for libIDL.la.
>OK, I can cope with that, take --disable-static out. Still, I *like*
>shared libraries (I'm running out of hard disk). Is there a good reason
>for this?

The ORBit/test/ programs need the static libs. If you submit a patch to
build test/ only when static libs are enabled, we can work it in.

>1.2) make clean is broken when the directory is clean anyway.
>Something in `test' depends on something that is built into `src'. This is
>fine if ORBit is built, but not if it isn't.
>Does that make sense?
>This would seem to be (after poring over make -d|less) because `Makefile'
>depends on $(BUILT_SOURCES), and BUILT_SOURCES contains `echo.h', which is
>built from `echo.idl' by $(top_builddir)/src/idl-compiler/orbit-idl. This
>will not exist if the directory was not built up.

automake problem, NMF... :)

-- Elliot
"In film you will find four basic story lines. Man versus man, man
 versus nature, nature versus nature, and dog versus vampire."
    - Steven Spielberg