CVS compilition notes

I got bored during the weekend so I decided to check Gnome out of the CVS
server and build it.  I had previously tried compiling from the gnome-*-0.30
tar files with mixed success, but this time I decided to keep some notes.

Maybe this will help someone,
  Hugh

--Notes------------------------------------------------------------------
* CVS

  When I checked out gnome-admin, I got several other directories:

    gnome-admin/
    gnome-core/
    intl/
    macros/
    support/

  I interrogated CVS and discovered that these belong to gnome-common, so I
  created a gnome-common directory and moved them there.

* glib.

  Seems fine.

* gtk+.

  Ran ./autogen.sh, got errors:

    aclocal: configure.in: 173: macro `AM_PATH_GLIB' not found in library
    [...]
    ./configure: syntax error near unexpected token `AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE($PACKAGE,'
    ./configure: ./configure: line 581: `AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE($PACKAGE, $VERSION, no-define)'

  My Solution:

    cp <glib-direcory>/glib.m4 .
    export ACLOCAL_FLAGS='-I .'
    ./autogen.sh

  DON'T DO THIS AT HOME. See the next problem.

* ORBit.

  Fails with similar errors to gtk+.

  The solution seems to be:

    export ACLOCAL_FLAGS='-I <install-prefix>/share/aclocal'

  Before running ./autogen.sh

  This would work for gtk+ too.

* gnome-libs.

  Seems to require the following directories.

    cp -r ../gnome-common/macros .
    cp -r ../gnome-common/support .
    cp -r ../gnome-common/intl .

  Tried to use symlinks here but something in those directories expects .. to
  be gnome-libs

  Edit gnome-libs/Makefile

    ACLOCAL = aclocal -I macros

  becomes

    ACLOCAL = aclocal -I macros $(ACLOCAL_FLAGS)

* libgtop.

  Make fails with nasty linking error.

    gcc -Wall -W -g -O2 -Wall -Wno-unused -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations -Wpointer-arith -D_BSD -DGLIBTOP_DAEMON_SLAVE -o .libs/libgtop_daemon gnuserv.o slave.o main.o io.o version.o -Wl,-rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib ../../lib/.libs/libgtop.so -Wl,-rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib ../../sysdeps/common/.libs/libgtop_common.so -Wl,-rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib ../../sysdeps/linux/.libs/libgtop_sysdeps.so -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXau -lm
    ../../sysdeps/linux/.libs/libgtop_sysdeps.so: undefined reference to `g_hash_table_new'
    ../../sysdeps/linux/.libs/libgtop_sysdeps.so: undefined reference to `g_ptr_array_add'
    [... etc ...]

  Edit libgtop/src/daemon/Makefile, change:

    LIBS = -lm

  to:

    LIBS = -lm $(GLIB_LIBS)

  This probably could be done in Makefile.am, but I don't know how.

* gnome-core.

  Almost the same problem as gnome-libs.

    cp -r ../gnome-common/macros .
    cp -r ../gnome-common/intl .

* gnome-guile.

  Seems OK.

* Running panel.

  panel seems to work OK, but applets aren't working properly.  They complain
  about:

    Invalid window ID

  or something and either fail completely or pop-up in their own top-level
  window.

  Trashing the .gnome directories:

    rm -fr ~/.gnome ~/.gnome_private

  seems to fix this.  Applets work!