wmaker, panel, and swallowing apps

I'm using WindowMaker .20.1, from the RPM, and GNOME .30, also from
the RPMs. Since I started using WindowMaker the panel won't properly
swallow app windows. In the panel I get an empty swallow applet of the
specified size, but the app reappears in a shruken window, still on
the desktop. When I do "remove from panel" on the swallow applet, they
both go away.

I'd be happy to take a crack at digging in the code, but I don't
really know X and I have no idea where to begin. If someone could
supply a conceptual overview of what is happening and what might be
going wrong, I could try to pinpoint the problem. Thanks.

--
"He turned one hand palm up and rubbed the ball of his thumb over his
fingertips... So Beck was the hacker and Oda was the backer. The