Problems with gtk+ from CVS

    I am following the steps from http://www.cinternet.net/~soren/gnome/cvs.shtml and I am able to get glib istalled in /usr/local/gnome using the --prefix argument but when I try to run autogen.sh --prefix=/usr/local/gnome in the gtk+ directory I get 'syntax error near unexpected token 'AM_PATH_GLIB(1.1.3,,''.  I have /usr/local/gnome/bin in my path so it should beable to find glib-config and I have also updated my ld.so.conf to point to at /usr/local/gnome/lib, and I ran ldconfig.  What am missing here.

Brad