Re: Panel and applet properties won't get saved

Marcus> I have been having similar problems and when I run
Marcus> `save-session` I get the following:

Marcus> [spoon@underdark * Sat Oct 17]
Marcus> (~) save-session
Marcus> save-session: couldn't connect to session manager

Marcus> And yes, I have the panel running, and I started it with
Marcus> gnome-session.

I presume you ran save-session from your xterm.  Did the session
manager start your xterm?  If not, how was it started?  Is the
SESSION_MANAGER environment variable set?

If SESSION_MANAGER is not set, then that is your problem.  One way to
fix it is described below.

When I try this, it works perfectly.  My .xinitrc boils down to
basically this:

	exec gnome-session

Then I configured gnome-session (using session-properties) to launch a
few non-SM applications (my window manager, and Emacs).  It also runs
a few session-aware programs that I had previously set up (xterms and
smproxy, mostly).

gnome-session prints the SESSION_MANAGER value to stdout when it
starts.  If you save your .xinitrc's output somewhere (I do in
~/.x-errors) then you could explicitly set SESSION_MANAGER in your
shell and try again.

It all works quite nicely for me.  I don't doubt that there could be a
bug.  But as I can't reproduce it I'll need more information from you
in order to find it.

Tom