To: Daniel.Veillard@w3.org
Cc: "Brandon S. Allbery" <allbery@ece.cmu.edu>, gnome-list@gnome.org
From: lm@bitmover.com (Larry McVoy)
Subject: Re: Problem with anoncvs? glib and gnome-xml are weird
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 1998 12:35:04 -0600

: BTW, with the large number of independant packages/maintainers, I think
:   that Gnome would be a perfect testbed for Larry McVoy source management
:   framework BitKeeper [1]. Larry does your project intent to support
:   mirrored codebases, it seems that it's one of the scalability problem
:   of CVS (with the lack of hierarchy) ?
:
: [1] http://www.bitmover.com/

Not only does it intend to support that, that's the only way it works.
The profound difference between it and CVS is that with CVS there is
one repository and N clear text work areas with a strict one parent/N
children relationship (you can't merge from one work area to another
without going through the parent).   In BitKeeper, every work area is a
repository and there is no fixed hierarchy.  Normally people would have
their private work area and then merge to/from a common shared work area,
but it is perfectly legal for one private work area to merge with another
one directly and then merge with the common one (or not).

It doesn't matter what path a delta takes getting into the tree -
once it is there, it doesn't get added again no matter what you do.
Graph theory rules :-)

I'd be happy to hear the concerns/needs of the Gnome team and make sure
that I'm addressing them.  Feel free to join bitkeeper-users@bitmover.com
and/or post your questions there.

Cheers,

--lm

P.S.  Gnome rocks, by the way.  It's the whizziest thing I've ever seen and
I used to work at SGI who thinks they are the whizziest of them all...