RE: BOB: GNOME Word Processor Efforts

> > The talk here is about a word processor, not an editor.
>
> What exactly is the difference?
>
> I think a word processor is merely an editor with a few slight adjustments
> to it's behaviour to make it more easy to handle language.  Emacs gives us
> this already with it's buffers and modes - why re-invent the wheel to
> provide a word processor that will be years behind in basic editing
> features?

Right. But then, take Word (okay, Microsoft stuff should not be discussed
here but, hey, that's the only one really popular out there, in the Windows
world) as an example.

It's just a highly-improved notepad. But it uses more memory and everything.
A Word Processor then simply has more features than Emacs, and especially
features WE DON'T NEED NOR WANT in Emacs. It's a way to specialize and
restrict software. To give access to things you don't the least need
somewhere else, but that are crucial to the job you're doing. A 'word
processors' is just a class of text editors, specialized in and restricted
to publishing paper works.

It's either that and we're stuck with a single program that does all and
takes 256megs of memory just to say hello. =)

Christian Lavoie