Re: don't despair: chicken soup for the FUD

On Fri, 16 Oct 1998 16:25:16 +0000, sungod <as387@yfn.ysu.edu> wrote:

>the critics say: "gnome is too hard to install."
>
>the truth is: no fake, jake. gnome is still way alpha.
[snip]
>the critics say: "gnome is too unstable."
>
>the truth is: again, what should we expect from alpha software?
[snip]

I would disagree with these replies not because they are untrue, but
because we need to aim for a featureful, stable, easy to use desktop, and
since we're not all the way there yet, the best thing to do is for people
to keep pointing out what is wrong, NOT excusing what is wrong by saying
"Oh it's just alpha" :)

FWIW, there is still a place for a few people to manage the bug tracking,
and make sure that it is as easy as possible for the programmers to know
about and fix bugs. This is one thing that almost anyone who uses Linux
can do to pitch in...

>the critics say: gnome isn't unified enough. they don't use the base
>libraries like they ought to.

Hmm, haven't heard this one before, but if someone can point out
specific examples of this, they can be fixed.

-- Elliot
"In film you will find four basic story lines. Man versus man, man
 versus nature, nature versus nature, and dog versus vampire."
    - Steven Spielberg