Re: Making prerequisites easy

On Fri, 7 Aug 48409, Peter Petrakis wrote:

> Regarding package prerequisites. A couple weeks ago on the debian-alpha list
> there was talk of "super packages" that would contain just dependances for other
> packages. You could take that a step further and pack it into an SRPM or RPM
> that would compile , install, and configure each lib in the appropriate order.
> That would be much less intimidating that a slew of graphic libs to
> install though gtk & glib should be kept in thier own super package for obviuos
> reasons of organization. What do think?

I like this idea and I think that it is definately something to look into,
except that there might be some minor problems with RPM.  I only know a
little bit about RPM (enough to be dangerous I guess :) so if someone more
knowledgable might want to look into something like this.

Marcus Brubaker
spoon@elpaso.net
http://www.elpaso.net/~spoon

A man threw himself through the window, a knife between his teeth, a
Kalashnikov automatic rifle in one hand, a grenade in the other. "I glaim
gis oteg in der gaing og der --" he paused. He tooke the knife out of his
teeth and began again.
        -- (Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman, Good Omens)