Re: Making prerequisites easy

On Fri, 7 Aug 48409, Peter Petrakis wrote:

> Regarding package prerequisites. A couple weeks ago on the debian-alpha list
> there was talk of "super packages" that would contain just dependances for other
> packages. You could take that a step further and pack it into an SRPM or RPM
> that would compile , install, and configure each lib in the appropriate order.
> That would be much less intimidating that a slew of graphic libs to
> install though gtk & glib should be kept in thier own super package for obviuos
> reasons of organization. What do think?

1) I think that this sounds great; yet another reason why one out of
   every two computers owned by me runs Debian.  8^)

2) I think that this is the responsibility of the distributions.  Attempts
   to duplicate their work will not be as good, will interfere with their
   plans, and generally will be sucky.  The best we should do within
   GNOME is clearly to establish what our dependencies are in each
   package's docs, so that maintainers can easily tune their packagings.

--
Todd Graham Lewis            32°49'N,83°36'W          (800) 719-4664, x2804
******Linux******         MindSpring Enterprises      tlewis@mindspring.net