Re: GOAD IOR printing

[Cc'ed to gnome-list, as an explanation of the new behaviour of
gnome-help-borswer is in this message

IMPORTANT

I forgot to add the installation of the gnorba file to the
Makefile.am. So please check out the new version and re-install.
i just added it.]

el> On Tue, 13 Oct 1998, Miguel de Icaza wrote:
>> > We are registering it in the name service! We just need to also pass

el> The IOR retrieval code should skip over the debugging messages, FWIW.

It's printing all messages from the server as a debugging
aid. I'll ifdef it out, as well as the other debug messages from
goad.

>> Right now, we have a situation on which gnome-help-browser only prints
>> out an IOR, and does not work further.

It does work. When you do a ps you see that the server is waiting in
the background. Also if you pass a cmd line argument
`gnome-help-browser toc:' this page will be displayed. I choose this
behaviour, so that only the startup code of gnome has to pay the cost
of starting the help browser, and it's free for every application.

el> I don't think that's the fault of stdio vs. whatever. Just run
el> and register gnome-help-browser manually if the GOAD activation isn't
el> doing the trick.

It's is registered correctly. You can use the gnome-help-caller
program as a remote-control of the gnome-help-broswer server. the
program sits in a read loop and displays the URL you type in. If tyhe
URL is prefixed with '#', the same window is used (or the first
invisible one, if you types in '#toc:' as the first URL).

You might also just use gnome-help-caller and see how the server is
started if it's not already running.

What's missing is a gnome-help-broswer factory which is started as the
first object and which creates gnome-help-brower objects on
request. Then, gnome-help-browser then is the client and the server is
started when gnome starts, or at the first request.

el> -- Elliot
el> "In film you will find four basic story lines. Man versus man, man
el>  versus nature, nature versus nature, and dog versus vampire."
el>     - Steven Spielberg