Re: Any suggestions for gnorpm?

  Sorry, I'm not an user (yet) but...

> Some of you may be using my gnorpm RPM frontend (different from grpm from
> redhat). Currently I am updating it a bit, and would like a bit of
> feedback.  If you have any ideas for the program, I would like to hear
> them.
>
> Specifically, ideas about installation/upgrades of RPMs and general user
> interface issues would be good.

  Did you have a look at rpmfind ?
    http://rufus.w3.org/linux/rpm2html/rpmfind.html

  May I suggest adding the discovery code for packages (and the dependency resolution)
onto your client. I guess thath the basic stuff needed is already available as
gnome libraries (libxml, libghttp), some of the glue stuff can be found on rpmfind
CVS base (RDF handling, recursive lookup of dependancies).
     http://dev.w3.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/

  I always wanted to provide a nide IDE for rpmfind but I lack the UI stuff
knowledge (I'm really bad at designing UI), and somewhat the time too.

> I am not going to add the build component of rpm to gnorpm, as it belongs
> more in an IDE rather than a client tool.  I also think automatic updating
> of RPMs would be better handled by a separate app (maybe autorpm?).

  Note that:
    - rpmfind is not really targetted at automatic updating (even if it can be
      tweaked to do it).
    - You don't need to be root to do the search and download, just for the
      installation

 Get in touch directly if you want more information,

Daniel

--
Daniel.Veillard@w3.org | W3C  MIT/LCS  NE43-344  | Today's Bookmarks :
Tel: +1 617 253 5884  | 545 Technology Square   | Linux, WWW, rpm2html,