Re: Gnome Midnight Commander or Gnome Windows Commander ???

> 	  I to wouldn't want MC to lose its CLI support, because that is an
> important part of why I, and others, use it.  However, as I understand
> things, MC will be maintained and developed separately from GMC.  Is
> this right Miguel?  Is MC and GMC essentially 2 different programs now,
> or do they still share the same code base?

MC and GMC both share the same engine code.  The only thing that
changes is the GUI display.

Now, people are just complaining about my implementation in two files:
mc/gnome/glayout.c and mc/gnome/gscreen.c, and even then, they have
not seen all of the display options supported (there is one identical
to the text mode, but in single-panel mode).

So guys, before you start flooding me again with messages about why
you dislike gmc, please take a look at it yourselves, dont depend
exclusively on screenshots.  And if you dont like the *file listing
display code* (this is important to mention, so I will use CAPS to
point this out: it is only the, *FILE LISTING DISPLAY CODE* which does
not follow the text mode GUI).

Now, how much code is contained in the FILE LISTING DISPLAY CODE?
This is an easy question to answer:

metropolis$ wc -l /usr/cvs/mc/gnome/gscreen.[ch]
/usr/cvs/mc/gnome/glayout.[ch]
   1976 /usr/cvs/mc/gnome/gscreen.c
     22 /usr/cvs/mc/gnome/gscreen.h
    542 /usr/cvs/mc/gnome/glayout.c
   2540 total

So, some volunteer that dislikes a lot the current FILE LISTING
DISPLAY CODE can write an alternatiev GUI.  We can even support all of
the display codes at the same time.  I really do not see any conflict
here.

Now, I do not have time to write every single display mode people
want: I am concentrating on the user-friendly one and besides that I
have lots of other things to do.  Which basically means: I am taking
patches for new modes :-)

There is an extra drawback, I am going to make various changes to
those files and to their supporting backends (src/screen.[ch]) as soon
as I commit my new, improved and all-sexy GnomeIconList to the CVS (it
is really slick, you have to see it :-), so dont get too excited about
writing new display code until I am done.

best wishes,
Miguel.