Re: Gnome success report, optimized compiling

On Sun, 11 Oct 1998, Richard Hult wrote:

> When everthing was done, I started the panel up. Wow!!! It's f-a-s-t!! It's
> mean and lean and quick :) My worries went away finally :) And the memory
> footprint went donw rather drastically too, from huge to little.

You ain't seen nothing yet - if you compile from gdk up with
G_DISABLE_CHECKS and G_DISABLE_ASSERT, then all the assertions and safety
checks found at the beginning of nearly every function get compiled out.
That should speed things up even more, and shrink the code.

Of course, the safety checks often prevent silent segfaults, so you might
notice less warning spew and more instability. Once things are thoroughly
debugged they'll be compiled sans checks though.

Havoc