undefined symbol: g_quark_from_static_string ??

Hi there,

I posted this problem awhile ago but received no response suggesting any
kind of solution.  I've looked into it as much as I can in my own limitted
capacity but this one is a little over my head.  I'm still a problem with
running panel & gmc.  This is what
is happening:

[root@benway gnome]# panel
panel: error in loading shared libraries
/usr/lib/libgtk-1.1.so.1: undefined symbol: g_quark_from_static_string
[root@benway gnome]# gmc
gmc: error in loading shared libraries
/usr/lib/libgtk-1.1.so.1: undefined symbol: g_quark_from_static_string

Does anyone have any idea why I can't run these thing or what I might have
to do?  I installed from RPM's and have all the necessary dependencies to
the best of my knowledge.  If more information is required pleas let me know
what would be needed to isolate the problem.

thanks,

rob