Re: Launching vs. Raising an application...

>FWIW, Window Maker does just this with applications on the wharf
>(dock?  I forget what it calls it) and clip.  This, in turn, is taken
>from NeXT (of course), and everyone always falls over themselves to
>talk about how wonderful the NeXT is :-) (I'll admit that NeXT worship
>gets a little out of hand at times) This allows you to kill and app

I have beeing trying GNU Window Maker... and thats one thing I dislike. I
end using the root menu to launch my terminals.
The idea is fine for apps with only one copy necesary, like Gimp or similar
(I have used two Gimps, but rarely). For multi instances, is mad.

>with an option on the button (nice for zombie processes -- not that
>those should ever exist, of course, but...)  It currently doesn't
[snip]
>If this functionality was directly placed in the app, you would
>quickly piss off users who wanted to get around the "feature" (it's a
>feature when the user wants it, but a "feature" when the user doesn't
>want it :).  To have an app think for you -- and to make it hard to
>get around it -- is a certain way to make a user feel like the
>environment is condescending.  Linux and Gnome should be easy to use,
>but never condescend.  That this isn't a usual rule in interface
>design is a shame.

Good explanation.

>For beginning users, I think Window Maker will really be the most
>appropriate window manager on a number of points, so it's a feature
>that is already present where it needs to be.

Does anybody know how to configure Window Maker to launch more apps? I tried
"nxterm &" but fails. Why can not I set a icon to be a multi launcher?

GSR