Re: gnome-unused.h and others

On Thu, Oct 08, 1998 at 12:27:44PM -0500, Terry Shull wrote:
> I get the following error while trying to make several apps this one
> appeared as follows:
> Making all in obgnome
> make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/gnomecvs/gnome-objc/obgnome'
> make[2]: *** No rule to make target
> `/usr/local/include/libgnome/gnome-unused.h', needed by
> `obgnomeAppWin.lo'.  Stop.
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/gnomecvs/gnome-objc/obgnome'
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/gnomecvs/gnome-objc'
> make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2

(1) While I did not get this particular message I got rid of similiar
messages by doing 'rm -rf .deps' before make. If you have a lot of
outdated dependencies this is advisable.

(2) I got gnome-url.h and gnome-href.h missing. They were sitting in
$prefix/gnome-libs/libgnome/ so I copied them by hand to
$prefix/include/libgnome.  I suspect that the 'make install' step in
gnome-libs is incomplete. $prefix is whatever prefix you used in
autogen.sh.

(3) While I'm at it: If you have two different gtk/glib versions under
different prefixes -- say glib 1.0.x in /usr/local and glib 1.1 in
/opt/gnome -- you must have /opt/gnome/bin in your PATH ahead of
/usr/local/bin. If you do not, there is a shell script called glib-config
(or gtk-config) in both places and you will execute the wrong one. This
causes all kinds of weird errors.

(4) I got rid of all kinds of errors by installing the GNU tools
(autoconf, automake, and libtool) in /opt/gnome. This guarantees it will
pick up the right m4 macros.

---
Juan Rivero		email juanr@averroes.ivic.ve     Tel +582-504-1772
Centro de Quimica       WWW    http://averroes.ivic.ve/  Fax +582-504-1350
Instituto Venezolano de Investigaciones Cientificas      Cel +5814-933 93 88
IVIC, AP 21827, Caracas 1020A, Venezuela