Re: Strange compiling problems

On 6 Oct 1998, Ole J. Tetlie wrote:

> *-Reklaw <nawalker@earthlink.net>
> |
> | Michael, I dug up your old message. I really have no idea what
> | the problem could be. Could you send more info on your system to
> | the list?  Versions of libtool, autoconf, automake, etc, etc.
> |

> | On  2 Oct, Michael Bruce wrote:
> | >
> | > I haven't been able to compile GNOME for a while, due to weird libtool
> | > problems.  I fixed them recently (by forcing the use of my local
> | > libtool rather than the included one), and I've been eager to get the
> | > latest release running.
> | >
> | > I've had problems.
> | >
> | > The show-stopper at the moment is related to gdk_imlib.  Gnome-libs
> | > needs this (or so it says when I try to compile it), so I've tried to
> | > get it compiled.  while doing so, I get:
> | >
> If at least one of these are four, I'd say it's a problem with
> autoconf (but I may be wrong). Get back to us with the output
> of this program.

(message trimmed for brevity)

I have found the problem.  Pointing me at gint32 set me on the correct
trail, although the culprit is not, I think, autoconf.

I figured from the error messages, once I'd been given the push, that
gint32 was simply not being defined.  So, I went into glib.h and
explicitly defined it (by removing a lot of #if 's), which worked.
Now, that isn't a good solution, so I figured that the problem must be
that the values SIZEOF_FOO weren't being defined.  So, I looked at the
includes in glib.h, and saw "glibconfig.h".  Feeling an "aha"-type
bell go off in my head, I went to see what was wrong with the contents
of this file.  Much to my surprise, it was TOTALLY EMPTY.  So, I
checked this against the glibconfig.h in my source archive.  Well, the
one in the source archive had all the proper stuff in it.  I moved it
to the appropriate place and, voila.

Everything works.

So, I have no idea why it did this, but I hope maybe my experience
here will help someone else.

--
Michael Bruce (mabruce@students.wisc.edu / bruce@infinet.com)
http://mikebruce.home.ml.org