Re: Font Manager?

On Tue, 6 Oct 1998, Greg S. Hayes wrote:

> 	Has anyone thought about expanding the font selector to include the
> ability to add and remove fonts. Editing the fonts.dir, etc. files by
> hand can be a pain for a large font instalation spread out through
> various directories.

I seem to recall that the debian folks were doing some work on developing an
integrated font-management system (X, TeX, PS, TT).  You might want to stick
your head into debian-devel and ask what's up with those efforts.

> 	Also how is Gnome progressing with True Type support? Will we build
> True Type into Gnome or wait for XF86 to add TT support to the server?

Both; if your X supports TT, then GNOME will use that.  If not, then GNOME will
use it's own TT implementation.

> (I believe I read somewhere that rasterman had patched the XF86 font
> server to handel True Type support... with antialiasing I hope! :)

I think so.

--
Todd Graham Lewis            32°49'N,83°36'W          (800) 719-4664, x2804
******Linux******         MindSpring Enterprises      tlewis@mindspring.net