Compiling gnome-libs-0.30.1 on a debian 1.3 system...

Hi,

  I am currently trying to compile the GNOME libs on a debian 1.3 system but it
keeps failing in the configure stage with the following:

checking for dlfcn.h... no
checking for dl.h... no
checking for dlopen... no
checking for dlopen in -ldl... no
checking for shl_load in -ldld... no
checking for dlopen... (cached) no
configure: error: Dynamic linking is not available on this platform.  Some apps

  AFAIK debian 1.3 supports shared libs. I can't upgrade the system to anything
else as it is my University's system.

  Doing gcc -ldl fails to find libdl (which is sitting in /lib). Can someone
suggest a fix or am I doomed to not being able to run GNOME (unless I get the
uni to upgrade their systems)?

  Cheers,

  Tom