Re: backup-files

On Sun, 4 Oct 1998, josch wrote:

> > This fileformat could then be handled by GNOMEapps through a CORBA
> > interface.  (with different logging technics for different types of
> > files) That way most GNOMEapps would support logging of older
> > fileversions, and the rest of the OS would behave in it's normal way
> > (actually the OS wouldn't have to change at all).
>
> > The drawback would be that normal programs, not running under GNOME,
> > would be unable to read this logged fileformats.
>
> I don't agree on this point: the last version coud be stored in a
> stand-alone fashion readily accessible by other programs.
>
> Don> Alas, I don't see any glimmers of hope.
>
> Is there anybody out there seeing a real chance to realize this? I
> don't have the knowledge and the possibility to do any practical
> programming but I'm eager to learn and assist ...

Well, such systems does exist. They (PC-DOCS, Documentum and others) store
each file seperatly and by using a database links the check out name with
a system internal name. All of this is done through a database.

Have a look at current document managment systems for more ideas in this
area.

Martin

Martin Wahlén		Sound Foundation Inc.	    tel.    +46 (40) 454136
mwahlen@soundfound.com  Ringv. 1
www.soundfound.com      236 35 Höllviken