Re: URL respitrory

[What does notyop suggest for "respitrory", anyway?]

On Wed, Sep 30, 1998 at 06:31:40PM -0400, Nat Friedman wrote:
> That sounds like a good way of implementing the stuff I was talking
> about, with the small reservation that I don't know how you would
> store the hierarchy stuff in the database.

Usually, by having columns for 'id' and 'parent id' in each row.
(Like with directories or processes or whatever).  Or was this not
what you meant?

But I thought the idea was to use keyword combinations rather than a
hierarchy, anyway.  Is it web_servers/apache/api/mod_perl or
programming/languages/perl/web/apache/mod_perl ?  I have enough
trouble deciding whether to put Kawa under scheme or java in my
bookmarks list.

(Well, OK, I don't really.  I put it in the Scheme list because I like
Scheme and I like Kawa, and I don't like Java.  But that's not
important right now)

If people want to layer a hierarchy over it, they should be free to
define their own.  You'd have to have some way of saying that the
indices returned by searchs are _also_ resources, then people can just
define indices of indices.

When they get to sharing those indices, suddenly you have a really
quite cool tool (and one I've thought about writing myself, at that.
But, CMUCL bindings for Gtk are still first on my list)

-dan