Re: Problems with gnome window hints

raster@redhat.com writes:
[clip]
 >                It's time a line in the sand was drawn. I'm working
 > on a document wiht all the GONME WM hints in it.. it's not compulsory
 > but I think it has to be accepted that a MW that doesnt support these
 > is not suitable for gnome.

The man has spoken.

I agree entirely.

Follow the GNOME WM hints and live with the response from your WM.

However, I think that gnome should make this as easy and automatic
as possible so that those of us with less understanding of the
WM world can write our apps to do the Right Thing.

IMHO, this means integrating support for the GNOME WM hints into
widgets and hiding the details behind a simple API. The history
of ICCCM compliance demonstrates that anything more complex will
defeat application programmers.

Unfortunately, this raises an issue: Can the GtkWindow widget handle
the GNOME WM hints or does gnome need a new widget from which to
derive its WM windows ?

Felix