Re: [tigert gimp org: Re: Task list for gnome-libs-1.0 (fwd)]

Elliot Lee writes:
 > Oops, I forget not everyone is used to the same X terminology as I :)
 >
 > bitmaps == monochrome, pixmaps == multicolored.

The question might have been can we have red on blue rather than
black on white. This is supposed to be possible under X (e.g. using
xsetroot -cursor X Y -fg FOO -bg BAR).

However, in my experience X servers often make a hash of producing
cursors unless you stick to the font based black on white cursors.
The cursor is often draw using hardware and different hardware has
different capabilities in different video modes.

I think quite a bit of work might be needed to produce nice portable
cursors for gdk. However, turning off the X cursor and moving a window
around in response to pointer motion events would allow you to do
anything that you liked...

Felix