Re: FAQ in postscript; aieee!

On Tue, 24 Nov 1998 13:29:11 +0100 bagfors@hpc2n.umu.se wrote:

> looking at the screenshot at
> http://home.sprintmail.com/~mhanni/gstep-desktop-981021.jpg you will see that they have next-step-like menues.  However it doesn't seam like they have a global menu that changes depending on which program is in focus.
>
> Having one next-lookalike menu for gnome-programs and one that works in another way for gnustep programs and another way for other programs might get VERY confusing :)

IMHO a complete new style of menus is a really bad thing, if it would
only work with one toolkit (Gnome, Gtk, GNUstep, whatever). I can
imagine a typical Linux desktop in the near future, where users mix
Gnome-, KDE- and GNUstep apps. They should share as most ressources as
possible and such menu-things are surely one of these ressources. A
screen with a mac-like menu bar for some apps, a *step-like floating
menu for some other apps and a few windows with their own menus inside
them is surely not what users would be happy with.

> Otherwise I really like this idea :)

The Right Thing would be a protocol and a kind of menu-server or
menu-manager, that handles menus for every app that asks for it. If the
protocol is fixed, this menu manager could be written with Gtk/Gnome or
Qt/KDE or GNUstep or Motif or tcl/tk and the calling app couldn't even
tell the difference. Menus (and toolbars) are quite limited GUI-wise,
they just need to display some text or images, sub-menus, radio-buttons
and shortcuts. All this could be expressed in a quite simple protocol,
or am I completely wrong?

	Jochem
--

#   Jochem Huhmann <joh@uni-duisburg.de>  Duisburg (Germany)
#   PGP fingerprint = 6C 85 FC 93 31 10 4E 81  1F 4C BE 4E 21 72 B3 7B