Re: A few things...

>: Hi there...
>: 1) A couple of suggestions about the panel:
>
>: Is there a way to use the panel to change between applications a la bug
>: '95? This is a feature I really miss.
>
> Please don't think I'm being critical, I'm just curious: why do some
> people want this feature when most window managers bind a window/task
> list to a mouse button? That way you can quickly switch tasks from
> wherever the pointer happens to be, instead of having to move the
> pointer to the taskbar. To me a task list that is a permanent screen
> fixture is a waste of real estate.
>
> 	- A

Moving the pointer to the task bar is often faster than finding a piece of
uncovered background, clicking on the middle mouse button, waiting for
the task list to show up, scanning the list to find the entry I'm looking
for and finally selecting it.
Yes a task bar takes up some space, but I find myself using it a lot (in KDE
at work, and in icewm/Gnome at home). I don't think the panel should be
changed into a task bar, though. An optional Gnome task bar replacing
the window manager's task bar might be nice.

Actually, an appletless panel as in KDE is just as much a waste of space
since all functions could be put in a menu under a mouse button as well.
I guess it's just a matter of what you're used to.

Ronald