Re: Menus

> > I wonder if it would be possible to reparent all the torn-off menubars to a
> > common window, i.e. a floating menu container....  When each GNOME app started up
> > in global-menu-mode, it would register its menu with the container, rather than
> > itself.  When each GNOME app got the focus, it could make a quick little CORBA
> > call with a single parameter, the menu id (which it passed when it registered the
> > menu).  Now, I'm no X-Windows guru either, but this sounds like it might be
> > workable.  **Assuming** tear-off menus can be reparented like that.
> >
> > Anyone?
>
> The current API allows this.
>
> It would be simple to do, but I do not think it will happen on time
> for GNOME 1.0 as we are freezing in three weeks the code.

How about looking on how gnustep does this?

looking at the screenshot at
http://home.sprintmail.com/~mhanni/gstep-desktop-981021.jpg you will see that they have next-step-like menues.  However it doesn't seam like they have a global menu that changes depending on which program is in focus.

Having one next-lookalike menu for gnome-programs and one that works in another way for gnustep programs and another way for other programs might get VERY confusing :)

Otherwise I really like this idea :)

/Erik

--
                            \|/