Re: orbit-name-server and esd

In message <3659BABB.F00E0197@alphalink.com.au>, Andrew Clausen writes:
+-----
| raster@redhat.com wrote:
| > On 24 Nov, Andrew Clausen scribbled:
| > ->  I think esd should be started by init.  When a user logs in, it claims
| ownership of esd.  Then
| > ->  when the user logs out, it "disowns" it.  Does this sound right?
| >
| > that is how it should work - at least in a proper distribution setup
| > environment.
|
| How should this be done?  Should we have a process in gnome-session that clai
| ms ownership, and sits.
| When it gets killed by gnome-session, it traps it, and disowns esd.
+--->8

I'm doing it in the [gx]dm configuration, along with the chown of the console,
etc.  This is preferable to trying to insure that the user session does it;
otherwise you're looking at a potential denial of service by a malicious user.
 (Granting that no sound isn't that serious a DoS, but the concept applies and
one should be used to thinking in that fashion.)

--
brandon s. allbery	[os/2][linux][solaris][japh]	 allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator	     [WAY too many hats]	   allbery@ece.cmu.edu