libIDL compilation errors

Hello.  I am trying to compile gnome (I have already gotten GTK+ themes
to work; i.e., I have compiled glib, gtk+, imlib, and gtk-engines
without
any problems and tested them), but I get the following error message
when
I try to do the ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr/local/gnome
--with-gtk-prefix=/usr/local/gnome in the libIDL directory I get from
CVS:

****

processing .
You should add the contents of `/usr/share/aclocal/libtool.m4' to
`aclocal.m4'.
aclocal: /usr/local/gnome/share/aclocal/gimp.m4: 8: duplicated macro
`AM_PATH_GIMP'
aclocal: /usr/local/gnome/share/aclocal/gtk.m4: 7: duplicated macro
`AM_PATH_GTK'
aclocal: /usr/local/gnome/share/aclocal/imlib.m4: 9: duplicated macro
`AM_PATH_IMLIB'
aclocal: /usr/local/gnome/share/aclocal/imlib.m4: 163: duplicated macro
`AM_PATH_GDK_IMLIB'
autoconf: Undefined macros:
configure.in:12:AC_CPP_ACCEPT_IDL
configure.in:16:AC_CPP_PIPE_STDIN
Running ./configure --enable-maintainer-mode --prefix=/usr/local/gnome
--with-gtk-prefix=/usr/local/gnome
./configure: syntax error near unexpected token
`AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(libIDL,'
./configure: ./configure: line 521: `AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE(libIDL, 0.5.3)'

Now type 'make' to compile libIDL.

*****

I have done the export ACLOCAL_FLAGS="-I /usr/local/gnome", have set my
ld.so.conf file to look like:

/usr/i486-linuxaout/lib
/usr/X11R6/lib
/usr/lib
/usr/i486-linux-libc5/lib
/usr/local/gnome/lib

and I have ran ldconfig.  I have tried to follow the steps at
http://www.cinternet.net/~soren/gnome/cvs.shtml to the letter (in fact,
am hoping to make a script for a cronjob that will get updates and
automatically compile a new GNOME every morning before I wake up :).
This is where I get stuck, though.  Should I be compiling ORBit BEFORE
libIDL?  I didn't think so.  They are on the same level in the
precedence
hierarchy in the CVS step-by-step guide.  Anyone know what these errors
could mean?

I want to help with the project, but I'm not a really experienced UNIX
developer.  Any help getting this first GNOME compilation (and a script
that would let me do this "in my sleep" :-) would be greatly
appreciated.

shane