Re: Bugs in gnome-terminal

On Sat, 21 Nov 1998, Michael Zucchi wrote:

> > While making session management work for gnome-terminal I noticed the
> > following bug.  Create a new terminal, close it and then try to create
> > another.  gnome-terminal hangs.  Also, gnome-terminal hangs if you close
> > the initial window.
>
> I think this is a problem with the pty-helper thing.  I had a similar
> problem, it is waiting on the pipe on both ends.
>
> I couldn't track it down.  I really think it should just launch the
> pty-helper to setup/unsetup the pty's, not hang around on the other
> end of the pipe.  However, I'm not sure how it could be done this way
> either - otherwise i'd have tried it.

Ok I'll give this a shot when I get a chance again.  Maybe next week.

> > Session management works MUCH better now though :).  One problem though,
> > could someone look through code and figure out why the transparency is
> > never properly restored?  Also, could someone check to see why zvt
>
> There seems to be problems with the preferences setting/restoring code
> in gnome-terminal.

Not any more :)  Did you try the latest CVS version.  I think I fixed up
most of the problems except for transparency loading yesterday.  If you
still see some problems please let me know.

> > transparency is broken.  For example, make a terminal transparent on one
> > desktop in Enlightenment and move it to another with a different bg
> > pixmap.  Boom, old bg pixmap is used for transparency instead.  This is
> > transparency without a bg pixmap BTW, not that I know why anyone would
> > want this :)
>
> Actually I couldn't see why anyone would want a transparent terminal
> at all.  Talk about toy factor :)  Umm, this is George's dept, he did
> the transparency patches.

Transparency is useful with a background pixmap.  The bug mentioned above
only shows up when there is no bg pixmap.  I don't understand why you
would want a transparent terminal with no bg pixmap, I can see people
wanting a bg pixmap w/ transparency though.

>  Michael
>
> --
>      ///   `... thinking is an exercise to which all too few brains
>     ///     are accustomed.' - First Lensman, E.E. `Doc' Smith
> \\\///
>  \\\/   Michael Zucchi, B.E.                 zucchi@zedzone.mmc.com.au

Manish Vachharajani               Some Haiku: A crash reduces
<mvachhar@vger.rutgers.edu>                   your expensive computer
                                              to a simple stone - Unknown