libIDL compile problems

I haven't yet been able to successfully compile libIDL or ORBit.  In
my most recent troubles, in fact, I can't even get past the
configuration stage.  Can anybody tell me where the AC_CPP_* macros
are supposed to be defined?  autogen and I certainly can't seem to
figure it out...

Thanks,

CJW

    /\        Colin J. Wynne            Johns Hopkins University
   (())                              Dep't of Mathematical Sciences
  /____\   ``Lunatic-at-Large''        E-Mail: cwynne@mts.jhu.edu
 /______\
/________\ ``A good description is like a woman's skirt:  Long enough
             to cover the subject, short enough to be interesting.''
                                                       ---James Parker