Re: Project Scheduling Design

> >    1) Derive the whole thing from a Canvas widget.  This would be the
> >       most versatile approach, but seems to require reimplimenting most
> >       of the Scrollbar and Clist widgets in terms of a Canvas.  I don't
> >       see any way to get much reuse of existing components other than
> >       by cut-and-paste (ugh!).
> >
> >    2) Use an Hpane widget as a container for a Clist widget on the left
> >       and a Canvas widget on the right.  This would be great from a
> >       software reuse perspective, but seems to require concocting some
> >       way to get the vertical scrollbar of the canvas widget to control
> >       the Clist and Canvas widgets in the two panes of the window.  I
> >       don't see any way to do this.
> >
> >  I'd appreciate any advise on the relative merits of these two
> >  approaches, or suggestions for alternate implementation strategies.
>
> For the first strategy, you would have to reimplement clist for the
> canvas.  I would only do this if you need something exotic out of the
> clist that it can really not do right now.  You don't need to
> reimplement the scrollbar.
>
> I would go for the second approach.  The canvas does not have
> scrollbars; it just has a pair of adjustments that you can tweak, and
> of course attach to your own scrollbars.  You could potentially share
> your own vertical adjustment between the clist and the canvas.

Can't you just have a separate clist, canvas, and 3 scrollbars, and
set them up so they all talk to each other using the same adjustments?

i.e.
         /----------------\
        v                  v
     clist    canvas <---> vertadjustment <---> vscrollbar
       ^        ^
       v        v
    horiz1    horiz2  (plus scrollbars for same)

Where the clist and canvas share the same scroll bar 'adjustment' - or
do clists always have to have their own scrollbars? (rather bad if
so).

The clist is a plain clist, as is the canvas, they are just in the
same container widget, but handle their own scrolling.

If gtk can't do this i'd be a bit worried ...

 Michael

--
     ///   `... thinking is an exercise to which all too few brains
    ///     are accustomed.' - First Lensman, E.E. `Doc' Smith