compiler can't find includes

I am having two problems with includes.

1) When compiling gnome-libs, I get told that libgtkxmhtml in file readXPM.c
can't find X11/xpm.h  where can I get this? What should it come with on debian
2.0.

2) When trying to compile my own gnome app, it says it can't fing the include
files, ie gnome.h. They are in /opt/gnome. I have my library path pointing
there and my /opt/gnome/bin is in the path, how do I get includes in the path.

regards Travs

A witness to the second IT revolution...
...when GNU and linux whipped microsoft and
brought powerful computing to the masses for free!