Re: Gnomish Thoughts

On 13 Nov 1998, Changwoo Ryu wrote:
> > 2) Why are my fonts (eg, in gtop) so huge and pixellated?
>
> gtop author made it so.
>
> I also think it is evil to hardcode a font for generic text.  Such a
> program makes its Korean translation useless.  :-)  (and Japanese,
> Chinese, or any other languages which should use fontset)
>
> Developers, please use gtkrc.

If someone wants to fix this, it's quite easy. The steps are something
like:

1) call gtk_widget_set_name() on widgets that use fonts
2) if GTop uses fonts for custom drawing (looks like it does),
   use widget->style->font instead of a hardcoded font. Text
   drawn by a widget will already be using this. If you really
   want to be cool, you could use gtk_paint_string and theme
   the strings you draw
3) if the Gtk defaults are bad, write a gtoprc that sets the
   fonts you want for the widget names you set, and goes in $(datadir).
   gnome_init parses this automatically (it assumes that gtop and
   gnome-libs are installed in the same place tho).

Then users can override the default gtoprc with ~/.gnome/gtoprc.

See, easy as 1-2-3. Hopefully someone will take the initiative. :-)

Havoc