stock internationalizations?

Wanted to throw an idea I had out there for comment.  GNOME, from a
programmer's perspective, adds a lot in terms of conveneience.  Why not
continue with that trend, and provide stock strings representing common
concepts that need to be conveyed to a user.

These stock strings could form a least-common-denominator set of
interaction.

The great advantage of stock internationalization IMHO is that once a
program uses S.I., it is automatically translated into a new language
when the S.I. lib is translated into a new language.

The downsides of S.I. is mainly integration into GNOME-- how?  The stock
strings provided would need to be descriptive enough to provide enough
information to the user, but general enough (or common enough) to be
included in a library.

For example, "disk full" would be a bad candidate for an S.I. lib.  It
doesn't communicate enough context.  A more complete message would be
closer to
"Unable to save desktop settings to %s.  Reason:  Disk full."

Comments?

	Jeff