sed: file conftest.s2 line 40: Unterminated `s' command

I've been getting this error for a few days now when compiling gnome-libs.
What gives? I've tried deleting the tree and getting the whole thing from
cvs again but it didn't help. I also updated sed to version 2.05 but that
didn't make the problem go away either.

[SNIP]
updating cache ./config.cache
creating ./config.status
creating Makefile
sed: file conftest.s2 line 40: Unterminated 's' command
creating po/Makefile.in
sed: file conftest.s2 line 40: Unterminated 's' command
[SNIP]
Now type 'make' to compile Gnome Libraries
+ cd ..
+ make
make: *** No targets.  Stop.

I've seen the same problem mentioned on the list once or twice but I didn't
notice anyone having a solution... So I take it that most people don't
have this problem? Or maybe I've just missed the discussion...

- Mika