checking out and updating

I was just wondering, but what commands are you using to checkout and
update the files from the CVS? I use: cvs -z3 checkout [module] and cvs
-z3 -dP update. Sometimes the update causes the source to become broken
(won't compile). And another thing, if cvs is interupted in the middle
of a checkout, should I delete the partially downloaded directory and
start over or can I just run checkout again and it will find it's place.

Thanks
tri