Re: I'll try this question again,.please

> Anyway when I did a gdb I received a command not found.  This is really
> frustrating problem.
> I can't believe no one else has seen it.?

This means that you don't have gdb installed.  gdb is a debugger, and would
have helped track down the problem.

> I'm having problems starting anything but session-manager.  For example
> if I try to start panel this is the output:
>
> Message: Initializing COBRA for panel
>
> Gdk-CRITICAL **: file gdkfont.c: line 115 (gdk_font_ref): assertion
> 'font != NULL' failed

Can you run any gtk apps?
This possibly means that you don't have the default font (Helvetica) installed.
Run xlsfonts and see if you have it.  If not, select a new font (run xfontsel
to help select one) and put it in your ~/.gnome/gtkrc file.

Good luck,
-Jonathan