Problem(s) with background-properties et al

Hello,

Here is the latest episode from my continuing saga...

For those whdon't know (i.e., everyone), I was having all sorts of fun
problems getting gnome up and running.  Well, it now works!  Er, well,
let's just say that I have all the proper RPMs installed. =)

The problem I am having now is when I go to run background-properties:

[matt@crush matt]$ background-properties
Gdk-Message:
** ERROR **: sigpipe caught
Gdk-Message:
** ERROR **: sigint caught

Please note, the only way I was able to get out was by pressing Ctrl+C.

Next, I get the following when I try to run gmc:

[matt@crush matt]$ gmc
gmc: error in loading shared libraries
/usr/lib/libgnomeui.so.0: undefined symbol: gtk_type_check_object_cast

This time, it plopped me right back to the command prompt.

Also, the CD-player is... weird sometimes.  There are certain CDs that I
own that it simply will not play, even though they work fine with xplaycd.
(Anyone out there who has "Cradle to the Grave" by [sub][hum][ans], try
and see if it plays.  If you don't own, go buy it.  This album RULES =)

Anyway, anyone with any comments/suggestions, please let me know...  many
thnks in advance!

PS - at least the games work =)~

Matt Singerman               | "If you can't fix it with duct tape,
messt66+@pitt.edu            |  it's fucked."
http://www.pitt.edu/~messt66 |   -- Politikill Incorrect