Re: gnome developer docs - not sgml

On Mon, Nov 02, 1998 at 06:16:44PM -0500, Todd Graham Lewis wrote:
> > > Apparently the FSF and associated developers have decided (again) that
> > > GNU/<insert OS here> is the only platform.  :-(  For all intents and purposes
> > > GNOME is out of the running as a GUI for any platform but Linux.
> >
> > What is this?  I have compiled GNOME in IRIX and Solaris myself.  Yes,
> > you have to install some extra libraries, but why is that such a
> > problem?
>
> If you consult the FAQ, then you will see a list of platforms on which
> GNOME has been reported to work.  Granted, you may have to do some work
> to get them going, but they still do work.  GNOME is not being optimized
> in the direction of making it minimally dependent on outside resources;
> it is being optimized in the direction of offering maximum functionality
> to the user and to the programmer.

also by providing a large and consistent functionality base for applications,
gnome apps will be much more portable .. since all the portability issues
are solved during the installation of gnome itself, instead of each app

George

George Lebl <jirka@5z.com> http://www.5z.com/jirka/
  The following implements RSA in perl and is illegal to export from the US: