GMC and the file selection widget

  This is an entirely random idea that I had last night and I'm
not a Gnome developer so this may be completely off-base.

  That said, is there any possibility that the main GMC display
could be exported, either as a GTK widget or as a CORBA
object (CORBA is another thing I don't understand entirely and I
don't think it applies here but..), to be used in cases where
there's a need for file selection? (eg the stock file selection
dialog).  Making it a widget would also let users (er, I mean
users of GTK+/Gnome more easily create custom file selection
dialogs (although it looks like there are mechanisms to do that
already so I guess that doesn't matter).   And yes, I probabl
got this idea from Windows, but I'm not sure that that
necessarily means it's a bad thing (Gnome has borrowed ideas
from Windows already--or at least ideas that Windows borrowed
from other projects..)

  There are a couple of downsides though (that I can think
of..)

  - GMC is a pretty complex program (right?) and it might not
    fit well into a simple widget
  - This could really screw up the VFS stuff
  - Lots of potential additional complexity
  - another .so file
  - potentially ties GTK+ to GMC
  - Could just be a really stupid idea, I've had them before
    and borrowing this from Microsoft isn't too reassuring :-)

  I suspect there are many more very good reasons to not do
this but I thought it was worth at least suggesting (esp.
since the file selector already has some basic file management
commands)
  Please don't tell me to do it myself either..if I had the
knowledge of Gnome, GTK+, and GMC required I would have. :-)

--
  Daniel Burrows

> Why?

BECAUSE