Re: gnome developer docs - not sgml

Tom Tromey wrote:

> Jeff> I know it a scares some people when non-GNU tools are preferred
> Jeff> :) -- but please take these preferences into account when
> Jeff> building GNOME.

> Feel free to submit patches to remove gratuitous gcc-isms.

In the part of my message which you omitted, I mention planning to do
just that.  :)

> Jeff> Unfortunately, automake requires both GNU make and GNU CC to do
> Jeff> dependencies, which is a big hurdle given my preferences.

> You can turn off dependency tracking in your own builds.
> Or you can work from a "make dist"d distribution, which will already
> have complete dependencies.

Do the dependencies from 'make dist' have hardcoded system paths in
them?

In any case, libtool inherits gcc-isms from somewhere, so I have to
knock those out too before I can divorce myself from gcc and gmake
completely.

	Jeff