Re: gnome developer docs - not sgml

Jeff> I know it a scares some people when non-GNU tools are preferred
Jeff>:) -- but please take these preferences into account when
Jeff> building GNOME.

Feel free to submit patches to remove gratuitous gcc-isms.

Jeff> Unfortunately, automake requires both GNU make and GNU CC to do
Jeff> dependencies, which is a big hurdle given my preferences.

You can turn off dependency tracking in your own builds.
Or you can work from a "make dist"d distribution, which will already
have complete dependencies.