You should add the contents of `/usr/share/aclocal/libtool.m4' to `aclocal.m4'.

During autogen of imlib, ORBit, etc.  Earlier packages as well I think.
I realise this is fairly non-gnome specific, I apologise.

Which aclocal.m4?  /usr/lib/gettext?  I haven't used any installation
commands other than rpm -i as root (I use /opt/gnome which is writable by
my development userid), so is this a bug in the libtool package?

package versions:
[sam@hydro sam]$ rpm -qa | egrep 'libtool|aclocal|auto[cm]'
autoconf-2.12-3
automake-1.3-2