Re: gnome_messagebox preferred?

On Sun, 1 Nov 1998, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> I want to display an error message.  Should I use gnome_error_dialog()
> or gnome_messagebox(msg,GNOME_MESSAGE_BOX_ERROR) ?

In order of preference:

 - gnome_app_error(app, error);
    Use this if you have an app around; it allows the user to
     configure dialog vs. statusbar, and can also center dialogs
     over app windows (this is all configurable via the ui-properties
     app, which hasn't been moved to the control center framework yet).

 - gnome_error_dialog(error);
    This is basically the dialog subsystem of gnome_app_error; it's
     useful when there's no GnomeApp window.

 - gnome_messagebox_new();
    Use this when you need to add response options not allowed by the
     above, or have other special needs. This is the original API,
     and then I layered the above stuff on top of it.

 - gnome_dialog_new();
    When you need a dialog that isn't a messagebox, isn't an about
     dialog, isn't a properties dialog, isn't a color or font selection,
     etc. (doesn't have a standard version). BTW if you ever write a
     dialog that you can see other people re-writing, suggest it for
     libgnomeui.

Since I wrote the gnome_app_* and gnome_*_dialog convenience stuff I
obviously think you should use it, but I don't guess there's any official
word. I am fairly unhappy with the whole thing, but I don't have time to
really make it nice. I guess it's OK for now.

Also consider the degree of severity of the error (is it really an error,
a warning, or maybe just a status message?), since there are different
functions for different severities. I think both the docs and header
comments go into this a little.

Hmm, also for now all the messageboxes look the same, since no one has
drawn the little warning, error, etc. pictures.

Havoc