Re: gtk compilation woes

"Robert M. Fuhrer" <rmf@asgard.cs.columbia.edu> writes:
> Someone said I was wrong in claiming that the .lo build was the thing that
> bombed out, based on the "fact" that make was citing a single rule that
> builds both .o and .lo.

No, based on the fact that I know that libtool builds both the static
and the shareable object.

> Well, I just looked at the Makefiles in gnome-libs/libgnome and gtk+/gtk,
> and they both have separate rules for building .o's and .lo's.  The static
> compile uses the COMPILE macro (non-libtool), while the shared-lib compile
> uses the LTCOMPILE macro (which uses libtool).
>
> So it still looks to me as though the shared-lib build crapped out...

Well, the `libtool' build died.  The .c.o: rule is not invoked in this
case, since the operative build is libgtk.la, which depends on *.lo
targets, not *.o targets.  `libtool' is designed such that the
appropriate static and shareable objects are built from one invocation.

- Hari