Re: NeXTGtk ?

On Sun, 31 May 1998, Gleef wrote:
> On Sun, 31 May 1998, Michael Hudson wrote:
> > It would only really work, IMHO, for attribute setting (like fonts) rather
> > than actions such as choosing a plugin.
> Both of these are better handled in a dialog box.  Plugins can work in a
> carefully organized menu (eg. The Gimp), but I have a feeling that as the
> number of plugins increase, even the Gimp team will start thinking about
> other means and methods.

I hope so.

> > Another idea would be to attach scrollbars to long menus, but that might
> > end up being an interface monstrosity...
> Again, you are getting the down arrow on the bottom of the screen, and
> potentially covered by things.

Not necessarily. In fact if you did this you wouldn't want the menu to be
very long at all - maybe a dozen items. I still think it would be hideous,
but not for that reason.

> > Now I'm really heading off at a tangent, but wouldn't it be great to have
> > a palatte in the Gimp where you can store you favourite scripts/plug-ins
> > and activate them with a simple double-click? I hate grubbing around in
> > three levels of menu to get to the plug-in I want...
> Try this (I know this works with the version of the GIMP distributed with
> GNOME, I'm not positive about the one linked against GTK+ 1.0.3).  Go
> through the menus to find the item you want, so it is highlighted, but the
> mouse button is still held down.  Hit the accellerator key that you want
> to associate the item with [Say 'W', or 'Ctrl-O' or whatever].  You should
> see a hint appear next to the selected menu item.  You now can use this
> key as a shortcut to that menu item.  Enjoy!

Yes, I knew about this but I was thinking of something more mouse based. I
have trouble remembering what keystrokes I assigned to what; "Now was blur
shift-control-alt d or control-alt f?"
I was also think that you could have dead simple scripts (along the lines
of blur 5 pixels, blur 10 pixels) created more-or-less on the fly. A bit
like the actions palette in Adobe Photoshop.
Another random idea: we have apply last filter (alt-f), but what about a
list of the last ten (say) applied filters?

Michael Hudson
Jesus College
Cambridge
mwh21@cam.ac.uk