Re: Another USER report

On Fri, 29 May 1998 edgehp@together.net wrote:
[ ... snip ... ]
> Lastly, I'd like to snap up one of the Gnome-compliant WMs. Back on RH4
> I had settled on icewm. When I reinstalled to RH5, I didn't bother, and
> am still running AnotherLevel, or whatever they call it. Having two
> gizmos overlap on bottom, and TkGoodstuff on the right, and the silly
> little pager in the lower right corner is rather unaesthetic.

If you like icewm, you're in luck.  Grab the latest development release,
from their website.  It's as GNOMEified as you can get currently, and
seems very stable.

> I remember seeing a reference to a Gnome-ified fvwm2, and a lot of talk
> about icewm. I know G-fvwm is available, though I'll have to dig for the
> reference. Is G-icewm available? Are either of these available in an RPM
> for Hurricane? I can install a tarball in /usr/local, but prefer to
> stick to RPMs for system-type stuff.
The development versions of icewm seem to be only distributed as tarballs.
The latest stable version has an RPM, but it's not GNOMEified.  I haven't
looked at the FVWM2 stuff yet, but my understanding is it was more a
fvwm2rc that looks nice with GNOME more than actual GNOMEification for
FVWM2.

> Any idea when gtk and gtk++ will converge, so I can run control-panel
> again?
It's not a matter of converging.  The control-panel from RedHat 5.0 was
compiled against gtk-0.99, (libraries named libgtk.so.1, libglib.so.1 and
libgdk.so.1).  When they released gtk+-1.0 it had a few changes which made
the version 1.0 libraries incompatible with some 0.99 programs, like
control-panel.  The proper thing to do when breaking binary compatibility
is updating the 'soname', and calling them, in this case libgtk.so.2,
libglib.so.2 and libgdk.so.2.  This allows the legacy programs to use the
old library, and new programs to use the new library.  Unfortunately, this
was not done, the gtk+-1.0 libraries use the same names as the gtk-0.99
ones.  This means that, to get these programs working again, you have
to upgrade the programs.  The upgraded RPMs are in the contrib/hurricane
directories on RedHat's ftp site, and mirrors.  Warning, RedHat's site is
very overloaded right now, you'll have better luck with mirrors like
rufus.w3.org.

> Thanks,
> Dale Pontius
You are quite welcome,