Re: A Proposal For The Addition Of Color-Reactiveness To The GNOME Desktop

On Mon, 25 May 1998, John R Sheets wrote:

> Bowie Poag wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 22 May 1998, John R Sheets wrote:

(snip..snip)

> > Agreed. However, conceeding this, we shoudln't throw the baby out with the
> > bathwater. The best way to implement an "extensible status messaging
> > protocol" is via the use of lamps, beacons, and color-reactive elements.
> > Only in special cases (such as in color-blindedness) should other
> > methodologies be explored. There needs to be a standard; not only for how
> > the idea is to be implemented, but also a standard for visual continuity,
> > IMHO.
>
> Well, I don't think we're throwing *anything* out with the bath water.  I
> think if we restrict alternate methodologies to special cases only (e.g.
> color-blindness), THAT would be "throwing the baby out with the bathwater".
> If we stop at color-reactiveness, who knows what other great concepts we might
> be missing because we stopped looking after the first idea.

Well, initially, there should be something on the table for people to play
with.. Nothing could be better than a simple implementation of the idea to
get people thinking about how it COULD be better in a greater sense,
instead of batting the idea around before deciding on anything. Get the
idea out there, and let the natural evolution of the idea take place.
Nobody says that the concept is set in stone, forever, and cannot be
altered.:)

> And while were doing cliche's, I'd like to add that we should stay away from
> "sacred cows" and "one-horse towns".  (c:
>
> John

Or putting the cart before the horse, John. ;)

Bowie